- U.S. citizen, national or permanent resident. (Priority will be given to students from universities and colleges that lack a strong research component and those from groups that have been historically underrepresented in STEM fields)
- Rising sophomores, juniors or seniors enrolled in 2 and 4-year colleges or universities.
- Major in a Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) field.
- Demonstrated interest in pursuing a career in emerging fields at the intersection of biology with other scientific disciplines that incorporate quantitative analysis.
- Completed application form.
- Copy of undergraduate transcript
- Unofficial transcripts are accepted
- Two (2) letters of recommendation
- At least one from a science professor.
- Applications with only one letter of recommendation will be considered.
- A “Statement of Research Interests and Professional Goals” that describes:
- MOTIVATION for participating in IQ-Bio-REU
- FUTURE academic and career goals
- PROJECTS of participating faculty that are of interest to you
- We do not have a final list of projects/participant faculty for summer 2023, yet your declaration of interests will help us get to know you better.
- Please browse through 2019–2022 projects and cast members on the website for projects from previous years and let us know which ones sound exciting to you.
2024 APPLICATIONS ARE NOW OPEN USING NSF ETAP
- Where do I upload the letters of recommendation?
Once you fill out the application form with the contact information for your recommenders, we will contact them directly and provide instructions regarding the submission process for the letters of recommendation.
2. I am not a member of an underrepresented minority. Can I apply to the IQ BIO REU?
YES. All candidates that meet the eligibility criteria will be considered for the program.
3. I have other other activities planned for the summer, can I participate in the program part-time?
NO. Students are expected to participate full time in the program.
4. Are DACA students eligible to apply?
No. Only citizens and permanent residents are eligible to apply. Here is a list of summer programs for DACA students http://www.matthewrcover.com/undocumented-in-stem.html
5. Must I have had prior research experience to apply?
NO, prior research experience is not expected at the time of application. Yet, interest in and excitement for the research and a willingness to learn new things makes you a great candidate for our program.